19 January 2011

Polish Meatballs

What makes them Polish?  The seasoning.  Meatballs are made in many countries, from Sweden to Italy to Iran.  And, of course, Poland.  Typically, the basic mix is the same, with spices changing the flavor as well as the accompanying sauces and sides.

The spice that makes these Meatballs Polish is Marjoram, a milder Oregano which has citrus flavors.  Dill can also be used.




Ingredients:

3 lbs. Ground Meat (typically a two part combination of Beef, Veal, Pork, or Lamb)
2 Eggs
2/3 cup of Milk
2 slices of stale Bread (I use Whole Grain)
1/2 Onion (I use caramelized or a tablespoon of dried, for sensitive stomachs)
1 Tablespoon Marjoram
Salt and Pepper to taste
Flour
Vegetable Oil for frying

Optional: 
1/2 teaspoon of Vegeta or
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt or
1 Clove of Garlic, diced



Combine the Meat in a large bowl.  Add the remaining ingredients and combine.




Roll into balls.  You can use a spoon or icecream scoop to make them consistant in size.  Coat lightly in Flour.




Fry on each side in Oil until browned.




Place on tray in oven with a couple of spoons of water to keep from drying and sticking.  Bake in oven 325 degrees for about 15 minutes.




Serve with Polish Dill Sauce or, in the summer, cold Sour Cream mixed with Fresh Dill. 

Smacznego!


My Babcia's Polish Meatballs on FoodistaMy Babcia's Polish Meatballs

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw your recipe and I thought I'd try it.It looks delicious.

Katerina said...

We too make meatballs in Greece. We put dried oregano, dried basil and fresh parsley among other things. Your polish meatballs look beautiful.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the compliments! Katerina, I've had Greek meatballs (actually a lot of Greek food) before, very delicious! My fave Greek dish to make is Pastitsio (not sure how to correctly spell it), fantastic dish...

jccraia said...

I tried these yesterday and they came out awesome.
A new favorite for the family for sure.
I made the dill sauce and served with sides of cauliflower mashed potato and soybeans. How can I post a picture?

Unknown said...

Thank you, jccraia. You can send me email & I will post, if you like. Or, if you are on twitter, we can follow each other & you can send me that way. Unfortunately, I don't know of any ways to post pic in blogger comment...

Unknown said...

I feel silly for not thinking of it earlier. jccraia, we can link posts, if you would like. Just post on your blog a pic (with a link to me would be really kind of you), let me know, and I will likewise edit this recipe to have a link to your post with a pic. Again, thank you for the compliment!

jccraia said...

OK, will do and will let you know.
Thanks!

jccraia said...

Mama,
The pictures are up on a new post: http://mystolenrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/01/mamas-mothers-meatballs.html
THANK-YOU!