03 February 2011

What a Winter Wonderland

It snowed outside.  Actually, it seems more like my house was placed in the middle of Antarctica.




That's my window caked with snow.  Two of the windows in our house ended up having snow coming inside because we need to replace them.  Oh, the joys of moving into a new house.  Oh, the joys of winter.  Oh, joy...




Thankfully, we are plant people.  So, I can look at my various plants and remember that soon winter will end.  At least, according to some Groundhog.




In the meantime, my older child likes to eat snow.  So, we decided to do an experiment.  Which kept both busy for a good half hour.  First, we gathered snow in a clean bowl and waited for it to melt.  Because children are impatient, I gave them a cup full to play with in the meantime. 




Next, we poured the melted snow, or water, into a cup through a coffee filter.




Then, we looked at our results.




And through a magnifying glass.




All I can say is, I refuse to eat snow.  But the kids?  They thought it was gross and dirty but still wanted to get more and eat it.  Mommy sighs.  Kids laugh at Mommy sighing and continue to eat snow.

Yesterday, a friend reminded me of this verse.

"He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth,’ and to the rain shower, ‘Be a mighty downpour.’ So that everyone he has made may know his work, he stops all people from their labor." Job 37: 6-7

At least my older child is off school so that we could all snuggle together, chase each other around the house and laugh and scream and dance...  After all, why else would God bless us with them if we can't spend snow days laughing with them?







If you liked this post, check out Winter on the Prairie.

6 comments:

Hyacynth said...

Exactly!

Diane said...

We don't get a lot of snow here but we did get a white Christmas for the first time in my life this winter and another snow last month that kept the kids out of school for a week.
And I did eat the snow cream! It was yummy, dirt and all! ;)
Nice verse...I wasn't familiar with that one.

Unknown said...

I wasn't either until I read a post on a friend's blog and it really spoke to me... Thank you! lol And regarding the snow, to each their own. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh. how happy I am that we don't get snow in here :-) I really don't miss it. Sometimes when I think about some good Winter photo shoots I think about snow and how I wish to be in Poland or somewhere wher snows... but... just for one day :-)

Anonymous said...

I think God created snow to test whether people will be calling Him or cussing while trying to not fall down ;)
This is nice, actually it's the only aspect of snow I like - when you can cuddle on the couch with your family, watch a good movie or play cards, or curl up alone in bed with hot tea and good book, and there's a snowstorm outside, and you're so warm and fuzzy and it's so white and cold outside, and the wind is whooshing in the trees... that's nice, really :)

Unknown said...

I love the snow!! i have all my life I just don't like how cold it has to be to have it fall from the sky. Last year when we had all that beautiful snow I loved going out and playing in it and I think that for some like me it brings out the kid in me and I thank god that I have a true snow day and have fun with it lol.