11 March 2011

Fish in Horseradish Sauce or Ryba w Sosie Chrzanowym

I know there are a lot of different versions of the sauce and methods to prepare this dish, this is simply one.  I've had it a few different ways. 

But since my older daughter only today is feeling better after a week of suffering through an Upper Respiratory Infection and the day before yesterday the baby started to show hints that she would soon feel sick, I needed a recipe that was quick and could be served cold.

I recalled having this dish once at a Polish restaurant on the side of the road a few years ago in the middle of summer and mentioned it to my father.  When his eyes lit up and he sounded excited, I knew I had to make it so that he could have dinner with us and spend time with his grandchildren. 

Especially after he said that he had not had Fish in Horseradish Sauce in a very long time.  I love being able to do that for him, almost as if I can give him a small part of his childhood memories to him since my Babcia and his mother has not cooked for him in many a year.



Ingredients:

2 packs of frozen Tilapia fillets (I know, I know, frozen is not as awesome as fresh but that's another discussion)
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
4 Tablespoons of Horseradish
Curly Parsley to garnish
Boiled Eggs sliced in wedges to garnish



Use Any of the following in the Poaching Liquid:
Stock Vegetables (Commonly Onions or Leeks, Celeriac, Carrots, Celery or Parsnips), peeled and diced
Water
2 Bay leaves
20 Peppercorns
Pinch of Salt
Lemon sliced into wedges
Curly Parsley
Thyme
Dry White Wine




Place in a large pot the Poaching Ingredients into enough water to cover ingredients and Fish.  Bring Water to a Boil.  Lower heat to low and add Fish gently.  Cover and cook for 5 minutes, turn off the heat, cover and allow to cool.  Place in refrigerator overnight.

The next day, remove fish and set on tray to serve.

Mix Mayonnaise, Sour Cream and Horseradish together.




Drizzle on Fish liberally.  Garnish with Curly Parsley and Boiled Eggs.




Serve with Boiled Potatoes...




Smacznego!

No comments: