07 March 2011

Let's Just Call This Polish Pierogi Stir Fry...

Or else I would have to call it My version of Rachel Ray's version of her friend Jon's Polish Stir-Fry and Pierogis Pot Stickers with Herbs and Sour Cream

Which would mean you would have to call it Polish Mama on the Prairie's version of Rachel Ray's version of her friend Jon's..., well you get the idea. 

Except that Pierogi are spelled with no "s" so then, we would have to call it...

Alright, I'm just going to stop the madness and call it Polish Pierogi Stir Fry, with a nod to Rachel Ray for the inspiration.  I'm sure Rachel Ray will understand.

So, the question becomes "What started this recipe naming madness?"  I had bacon last night as an ingredient and my mind went blank what to cook.  I saw I had spaghetti noodles from the night before and thought "Hmmm, Polish Stir fry?  Could there be a version of this in my cookbooks?  What would you even call it to see?  Let's Google it!" 

I found nothing offhand of what I had in mind to cook except Rachel Ray's recipe.  Which means that now I had two recipes I wanted to make, the original recipe I thought of last night I will be making tonight for dinner and hopefully sharing tomorrow. 

However, I had Bacon, not Kielbasa.  And Cabbage, not Kale, although I do think that this would be delicious with those two original ingredients.  Also, I have a deep love for Leeks over Onions any day.


Ingredients:

1 packet of standard grocery store Bacon (not the smoked Polish store Boczek/Bacon)
1 box of Pierogi (I used Potato Pierogi I bought at the local Polish store)
1 Leek
1/4 head of Cabbage
3 Carrots
1/4 jar of Sauerkraut (I used Sauerkraut with Carrots)
2 teaspoons of prepared Mustard (I used Sarepska style)
1 teaspoon of sweet Paprika
2 teaspoons of dry Dill
2 teaspoons of dry Chives
2 tablespoons of dry Parsley
pinch of Caraway seeds (I always use this in Cabbage or Bean dishes)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Sour Cream to garnish
Parsley and Chives to garnish
Butter, if needed


Boil water in large pot and season water with salt.  Add frozen Pierogi when boiling.  As they begin to cook, gently separate with a spoon a little at a time.  They will be done cooking when they float.  Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

While the water boils and Pierogi cook, dice the Bacon and fry in a large deep frying pan until crispy.  Remove from frying pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Remove all but a couple of teaspoons of the Smalec, or melt a couple of tablespoons of Butter.




The Leek should be prepared in the following way:  Slice off the dark green tops (reserve for Rosul, etc.).  Remove the root end and discard.  Cut in half lengthwise, separate all the leaves and wash very carefully in a large bowl of cool water to remove all grit.  Slice into strips as wide as the Sauerkraut, Cabbage, and Carrots, to keep all the Vegetables all the same size.  Fry the Leeks until tender and caramelized.  Remove from pan and set aside in a large bowl.

Cabbage should be sliced into strips as wide as the Sauerkraut, Leeks, and Carrots.  The Carrots should be peeled, and julienned to same size.

Add the Cabbage and Carrots to the pan with either Smalec or Butter and a few tablespoons of water.  Cover with lid and cook on medium heat until tender but not too soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.  Add Sauerkraut, mix together and heat briefly.  Remove and set aside with Leeks and Bacon (cover the bowl with a plate to keep the heat).

Fry the Pierogi in some Smalec or butter on all sides just until crispy, as you like it.

This was the point when I realized that mixing everything together in the large frying pan but I didn't want to dirty a third pot.  So, I drained and washed the pot I used to boil the Pierogi in, added the Vegetables and mixed them together with the Bacon and Pierogi.

In a bowl, mix the Herbs, Spices, and Mustard.  Add to the pot and mix well together.  Heat up briefly together, if needed.




Arrange on serving plate, with Pierogi on outside in a ring and vegetables inside, garnished with Sour Cream and a sprinkling of Parsley, Chives, or Dill, whichever you like.




This dish would be a great addition to a party, as it is fairly inexpensive depending on the cost of the Pierogi and whether you use Onions or Leeks.






As a side note, you can make this dish Vegetarian by simply omitting the Bacon and Smalec.  You can go further and make it Vegan by using Olive Oil for the fat and buying or making Vegan Pierogi, or even substituting the Pierogi with boiled or English Roasted Potatoes or Vegan Potato Dumplings, etc.  Just be sure to properly combine the right incomplete proteins in the carbohydrate and vegetable.  You can also add a legume of your choice.  I personally think that fresh Green beans, Butter or Broad beans may be a delicious addition to this dish.

7 comments:

CATagorical said...

You sure can cook! Have you though about publishing a cook book? I think you should.

Unknown said...

thank you! And thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I love Rachel Ray... She gave me many ideas for cooking... and I always make fun of my husband because he doesn't like her... but he sure does like what I cook for him using her recipes ;-)
btw, you are very creative in the kitchen!

Anonymous said...

and CATagorical is right.. you should start to think about writing a cook book. I could be your photographer... ;-)

Unknown said...

Dzienki, Ewa! We shall see... I am giving it all time to see what my options are and how the blog will pan out first, along with freelance writing, but it is an option I have been secretly considering and dismissing because I keep wondering how big of an interest I would find and what it would entail. If I do, I will DEFINITELY keep you first in mind for that...

LesleyRH said...

That looks so good! I'm a huge pierogi fan...will have to try this!

Unknown said...

Thank you, LesleyRH! Let me know how it goes for you...