02 March 2011

Pork Chops in Sour Cream or Wieprzowina w Smietanie

I have a friend who's family is from the Northeastern region of Poland known as Warminsko-Mazurskie and she reminded me of a dish I had once before and loved.  Wieprzowina (pronounced "Vee-ehp-zhow-VEEN-ah" and meaning "Pork") w Smietanie (pronounced "v Shmee-eh-TAHN-ee-eh" and meaning "in Cream" or "in Sour Cream").

Wieprzowina w Smietanie (Polish Pork Chops in Sour Cream, if you will) is so simple, easy, delicious and the flavor combinations really make sense of Polish cuisine.  Pork, Sour Cream, Vinegar, and some Onion.  How can you go wrong?


Ingredients:

6 Pork Chops (Bone in or out)
Butter
Salt
Pepper
1 small Sweet Onion
1/2 to 3/4 cup of Sour Cream
1/2 Milk, Water, or Dry White Wine *
2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sugar



Sprinkle Salt and Pepper on Pork Chops and fry about 2 minutes on each side in Butter on high heat.




Pile into casserole dish.  Slice Onions and either place raw in casserole dish on top of pork or caramelize and add to casserole dish.  In a bowl, combine Sour Cream, liquid of choice, Vinegar and Sugar.  Pour over Pork Chops.  Cover and bake in oven 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until super tender.




The Sour Cream will separate so the picture doesn't look perfect but I wish you could smell and taste this!  It was Pyczne!



Smacznego!


* I used Milk this time for the recipe but Dry White Wine would be amazing.  The water I have heard of others using but I don't see it really adding anything to the dish.

1 comment:

Arthur Silvero-Jeffe said...

Djiekuje Bardzo for posting this. My Polish friend was telling me about this dish 2 days ago. Now that I have your recipe, I will be serving this tonight to my family.