20 July 2011

Wordless Wednesday: Another Old Postcard from My Past, A Castle



On the back of the old postcard are written the following:

"Zamek Ksiaz k. Walbrzycha
Monumentalny zamek piatowski wzniesiony
w XII w przez Bolka I-szego, kilkakrotnie
przebudowywany, Obecnie czesciowo
udostepniony zwiedzajacym

fot. T. Drankowski"



"Wydawca: POLSKIE TOWARZYSTWO
URYSTYCZNO-KRAJOZNAWCZE"



"ZAKLAD PRODUKCYJNY PTTK WE WROCLAWIU
Wszelkie prawa zastrzezone"



Someone once on my mother's side said that we were related to the people who once owned this castle but whether that is true or not, I don't know and I'm not sure I would believe we were.  There are lots of legends on that side of my family about where they came from. 

On my father's side, they don't tell me because it requires talking about WWII (and because my father's family is a military family with a long history of service, I'm sure there are a lot of tragic stories of lives lost fighting for our beloved Polska).

It can't hurt to tell my daughters that they are Polish princesses, and if they need proof, show them this photo and say the same thing I was told, right?  Every little girl needs to believe in fairy tales and this place, to me, looks like it is from a prawdziwa Bajka (real fairy tale).



Some links about this place (in Polish):

http://www.zamkipolskie.com/ksiaz/ksiaz.html

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksi%C4%85%C5%BC

http://www.polskiekrajobrazy.pl/Galerie/368:Dolny_Slask/17148:Zamek_Ksiaz_kolo_Walbrzycha.html

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been to Wałbrzych but I didn't visit this castle. Wałbrzych is very old and it's got amazing history in it's walls. Today it's very dark and deprresing city! Too bad.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that today I got a package with 4 books about Polish history - from the Mieszko I till WW II. Soooo happy!!! :)
Have a great evening.
Ściskam!

Amy said...

It can't hurt to tell my daughters that they are Polish princesses, and if they need proof, show them this photo and say the same thing I was told, right?

How do you say "absolutely!" in Polish?

Katja said...

Love thouse old places! Thanks for linking up @ Ein bisschen Haushalt...

Greetings from rainy Germany
Katja

Verena said...

Wow, what a beautiful castle! My youngest daughter always thinks she is a princess.
Thank you so much for linking up and for your guess! Come back today and check out the answer of my Mystery photo!

Hug´s,
Verena

Luisa Rodríguez said...

Beautiful.. I'd love to visit Poland someday.

Have a nice day!!
__________________________________
http://mustbeliberating.blogspot.com/