23 August 2011

Polish Cold Carrot Salad

My husband just bought me a 20 lb. bag of carrots.  That is a lot of carrots.

So, I scoured my memory for several easy recipes to make.  I remembered a salad that came up very often on our table when I was a child and was almost always on restaurant tables with anything we would order while eating in Poland.

In Polish, it is called Surowka z Marchewki and means Cold Carrot Salad.

We even had this salad as part of my husband's first meal in Poland while on our honeymoon.

This salad is served cold, is very easy and inexpensive to make, and delicious. 

I wouldn't be a Mama if I didn't mention that eating carrots prevents night blindness, are high in Vitamin A and have some Vitamin C, Iron and Calcium in them as well.  Also, a diet high in fruits and especially vegetables significantly lowers your chances of diabetes, obesity, cancer, and all sorts of other health disorders and diseases.  Eat your vegetables!

Alright, Mama's ballad to carrots is over.  On to the recipe...


Ingredients:

4-6 Carrots, tops removed, washed and peeled
1 Apple, washed and peeled
Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
1 tablespoon of Sunflower Oil *
Sugar and Salt, to taste


Grate the Carrots and Apple.  Mix all ingredients together.

Serve cold.  It's that simple. 




Smacznego!



Notes:

This dish goes great with pork and is perfect for hot weather.

* In Poland and many European countries, sunflower oil is used as often as "vegetable" (soybean) oil is here in the USA.  You can substitute with "vegetable" oil, if you like.  I usually buy my sunflower oil in the Polish or European stores since I like to try to avoid soy and corn as much as possible.

3 comments:

2catsinjapan said...

It's even yummier if you add raisins to it. My babcia usually made it with raisins and skipped oil altogether.

Karen said...

I'll have to try this. We're a big raw carrot family here (not nearly as fond of them cooked...actually, can only eat them cooked if they still have a bit of crunch to them or they're in soup). We've made something similiar to this, but more of a slaw with carrots & purple cabbage. I'll definitely try grating in an apple the next time we grate some carrots. :>

We avoid soy here too. I don't totally avoid corn, but I am aware of it, so as to try an have corn free days as I have a kidlet who already cannot eat gluten, casein (protein in dairy) and many preservatives. I'm always trying different oils, I think it's been awhile since I tried Sunflower, but I'm always up for trying something new (or something old that's then new again! ;>)! :>

Antoinette Musik said...

Yum! I tried this for the first time at my hubbys grandmothers house in Poland and loved it so much!