24 December 2010

Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia (Merry Christmas)

I plan on spending time with my family for the next couple of days.  So, I wish you all a Merry Christmas, Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia.





And since we can't share oplatki over the internet, I will leave you with the words written on this year's oplatki package, the first few of lyrics to "Silent Night, Holy Night", Franz Gruber's version translated into Polish (the "Silent Night" most English speakers are familiar with).

Cicha noc, swieta noc!
Pokoj niesie ludziom roszem,
a u zlobka Matka Swieta,
czuwa sama usmiechnieta
nad dzieciatka snem,
nad dzieciatka snem.

Cicha noc, swieta noc!
Pastuszkowie od swych trzod
biegna wielce zadziwieni
za anielskich glosem pieni,
gdzie sie spelnil cud,
gdzie sie spelnil cud.

And a link to a website that gives lyrics to the much older Polish "Silent Night", "Wśród Nocney Ciszy".
http://members.fortunecity.com/john_deere/Koledy1.html

Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia!

2 comments:

HelenClyde said...

Oh, I remember singing that song (on an august night) with my Polish hostfather, when we were comparing songs we both knew, in a german or polish version. I think I even jotted the lyrics down in my copybook :)So, here´s to you:

Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht
Alles schläft, einsam wacht
nur das traute, hochheilige Paar
holder Knabe mit lockigem Haar
Schlaft in himmlischer Ruh
Schlafet in himmlischer Ruh.

And with this, I´m wishing you a very merry Christmas :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that special memory with me, HC! And the lyrics in German. And I wish you a Frohe Weihnachten (Merry Christmas in German to anyone curious)!