31 December 2010

A Look Back at Our 2010

2010 was a big year for us. 

We went camping with our baby for the first time when she was only 4 months old and I breastfed her on the top of a West Virginia mountain overlooking the Shenandoah Valley after a 4 hour hike with her on her fathers back in the Kelty, just as I had with our eldest at that same age.  We traveled around our favorite spots, saying goodbye to Wild, Wonderful West Virginia (and if you have never been, you have no idea how breathtakingly beautiful it is), Gettysburg, Pennsylvania's countryside, and the Atlantic Ocean.  We moved from a state I had lived in for most of my life to live on the prairies of Midwest America with my father.  In that move, I left my best friend and many very close friends before, and my husband left his family behind.

My older daughter started school for the first time.  We had a bout of her having some sort of a stomach virus which left her having a temporary milk allergy which has since worked it's way out of her system and she is feeling great.  She has begun reading a bit and understanding basic addition.  She also has begun learning to cook with Mommy.  She has also begun understanding and speaking some Polish, which was difficult before as we had nobody around who spoke Polish and I felt, frankly, like an alien for speaking it to her before.

My baby went from being a couple of weeks old to walking, talking, "typing" on the computer, "talking" on the telephone, running, kicking balls, and being a little adventurer like the rest of the family.  She has also discovered that dressing up is fun and has become very opinionated and independant, just like the rest of us.

My husband found work which he genuinely enjoys.

I started my blog, which I had debated doing for several years, just a month ago. 

2011 is, hopefully, full of wonderful surprises and joy.  This coming year I resolve to work harder at teaching my children Polish and about their heritage, we plan on making another trip to Poland, I hope to have my older daughter start Polish Saturday School, take Krakowianka classes, and become a Girl Scout "Daisy" and I become her troops Mentor Mother.  I resolve to teach my younger daughter more about this wonderful world, take her to the local pick your own farms weekly, museums as often as possible, and in general teach her all I know.  This summer, I resolve to allow the "Travel Bug" to "bite" me again, and bite me good!  I resolve to start working harder at my cooking and writing, as I used to before children, discover the Polonia community around me, finally learn how to bake delicious bread and start a kitchen garden at our new home.  Who knows what else I may accomplish or decide to work toward, but I hope to aim high and keep working hard.

I wish you all the best for the coming New Year.  "Szczesliwego Nowego Roku"!



6 comments:

Lesley Peck said...

Following you from Harvest for Tomorrow.

I live in WV and agree there is no place like it. It'll always be home :)

Amy's Journey said...

Thanks for posting the linky! I see my friend, Lesley, beat me to the comment! I, too, live in West Virginia - born and raised here. We do have some beautiful land here. I wish you well for 2011! I am your newest follower!

Amy at http://www.harvestfortomorrow.blogspot.com

Closer to Lucy said...

Out for a lil New Year's hopping. Hope you'll come by when you get a chance. http://closertolucy.blogspot.com

Beautifully Forgiven, Kortney said...

Hi! I'm over from Harvest for Tomorrow!! It's nice to meet you! Happy new year!!

Kortney

http://www.kortneyskrazylife.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Happy New year girl! I cannot believe it is 2011!!

Clayton Thomas said...

Hopping around! Sounds like 2011 could be a really fun year for you. I wish you the best!!!

Clay

http://www.tantrumstroublesandtreasures.blogspot.com

twitter: @claylauren2001