02 June 2011

Take Apricot, Add Potato, Make A Kid Smile

I adore Knedle stuffed with plums. The first time I made some from the freezer section of our local Polish store, my husband looked over my shoulder with a look of puzzlement.

"What is that?"

"Knedle."

"In English."

"Knedle. (Sigh, turn around to face him) Polish Dumplings that are stuffed with fruit and are super yummy."

"Why didn't you just so in English the first time." I just look at him, silly man.

He looks at it boiling in the pot. I'm not sure but I think he looks suspicious.

"So, it's a dumpling like an Apple Dumpling." He refers to the flaky dough apple dumplings that are baked.

"No. You'll like it."

He walks away. Minutes later, I come out with a bowl of buttered plum Knedle for him. I doubt he will like them. He eats the three I give him and ends up enjoying the entire bag worth. Figures.



.........................



My older daughter's class needs desserts from the Czech Republic.

I have some personal interest in this as I just found out my mother's father was originally Czech. How he got to be in a small Polish village sometime around WWII, I don't know. Of course, my mother's family insist he was Polish.

I do searching online and find out their cuisine is remarkably similar to Polish but as they are neighboring countries, it isn't unbelievable.

I end up making Bublanina, Almond Crescent Cookies and their version of Nalesniki.

I was hoping to also making their version of Knedle to see if I could taste a difference but ran out of time until the weekend.  I end up making Knedle from a recipe my Babcia gave me a long time ago.

My older daughter watches me grating potatoes with curiosity and helps stir the dough for a minute.

Once they are ready to be served, the children start clamoring for the family, "Obiat!  Obiat!  Dziadek!  Daddy!  Obiat!"  So much for that woman who thought my children would never speak Polish.

I watch them as they dig in to the dish, thinking "No, they won't like it, it's not American food.  There's no way."  And they keep shoving more doughy fruit into their cheeks.

I glance at my husband, who also eats two without hesitation.

My heart is beaming.  A bite from my childhood on colder days and my Polish American family loves it.



Ingredients:

8 medium Potatoes, skin scrubbed clean
2 Eggs, slightly beaten
cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
14 Apricots *
14 teaspoons or lumps of Sugar

Garnish:
1 cup butter, melted
Any combination of Sugar, Cinnamon and Toasted Breadcrumbs you like



Boil the potatoes, allow to cool, then skin and grate.

Add the Eggs, Flour and Baking Powder.  Knead until the dough is firm and smooth.

Remove the seeds from the fruit and replace with Sugar.

Divide the dough into 14 pieces.  Wrap around each Apricot firmly with no air inside.  Be sure to seal tightly.  If not using lumps, start wrapping the dough first around the area with the open cut to avoid dropping sugar everywhere.

Drop 4-5 at a time in a large boiling pot of water.  Cook for 15-20 minutes or until they are floating.




Serve with Garnish immediately.  Smacznego!



* You could stuff this with Plums, Pears, Strawberries, Blueberries, Cherries, Raspberries or any other fruit you like that is enjoyed in that area of the world.

Original photo from yesterday's article Wordless Wednesday: A Surprise in the Mail

I also want to credit North West Mommy with the cute title to this article.  Thank you!

5 comments:

Jen (emsun.org) said...

Ooh. I'm definitely going to try this. Thank you. :)

Stasha said...

My mouth is watering! Making them on Sunday!!

nat. said...

That is SUPER yummy in deed!:)

Unknown said...

I wish we lived closer so I could cook with you. I will definitely make these soon.
You have such a rich heritage. I wish I had the same. You are truly blessed.

Getty Stewart said...

Hi Polish Mama on the Prairie,

I'm a Canadian prairie mama writing a book on Prairie Fruit. I'm also the founder of Fruit Share a group of volunteers that picks and shares unused fruit from people's backyards in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
I wondered if I could include your knedel recipe and photo in "Prairie Fruit - The Essential Guide to Harvesting, Preserving and Enjoying Backyard Fruit". With full credit of course. Interested?