01 December 2010

Sweet Potatoe Pie and I Shut My Mouth...

...because I am busy eating it!  I love sweet potatoes, they are one of my favorite vegetables.  And to turn it into a dessert just makes me love it even more!  I can eat as much dessert as I want, because I'm really eating vegetables, or at least that's what I tell myself.  And if you love pumpkin pie, you will definitely love sweet potatoe pie.  In fact, of the two, I think sweet potatoe pie beats pumpkin pie hands down.



Ingredients:

Sweet Potato
1 Stick of Real Butter, room temperature
1 cup White or Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Milk (you can use evaporated, whole, or skim)
2 Eggs
1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Pie Crust (Graham Cracker or Unbaked Regular)

Boil the sweet potatoe whole in skin until soft, almost an hour.  If you are making Thanksgiving dinner, you can just boil this one with your other sweet potatoes.  Peel off the skin.

Mix the butter with the sweet potatoe until completely combined.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well until smooth. 

Open your oven door and place the pie crust on the rack.  Pour your mixture into the crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for roughly an hour, until the custard has set. 

You can either check by inserting your knife and checking if it comes out clean, like I do, so that I have an excuse to taste it, or you can jiggle it and see whether all but a one inch circle in center is set.  Don't worry about the moisture you will see between any cracks, that's the butter and will not make the crust soggy.  The pie will puff up a bit like a souffle then go down as it cools. 





I serve my desserts with homemade whipped cream, which literally takes seconds to make and is just as healthy, if not more so than that artificial fluff sold at the store...





Smacznego!

No comments: