06 March 2012

Polish Film "The Mill and the Cross"

Over the weekend, I had the chance to watch "The Mill and the Cross" on Netflix.  I would highly recommend the film.

"The Mill and the Cross" is a 2011 film directed by Lech Majewski and is about the painting The Procession to Calvary by Pieter Bruegel the Elder (1564).

There is little dialogue in the film, and what is there is in English as the painter explains his work or is in Spanish or other languages in the background to simply add to the atmosphere of the painting, and therefore the film.

"The Mill and the Cross" was filmed in Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria and New Zealand.

There are also beautiful scenes of motherhood throughout the film.  The scenes silently portray mothers in various stages and situations and run the gamut of motherly emotions and milestones, including a mother nursing her toddler, each smiling lovingly at one another.

When watching the film, it really does feel as though you are in the painting, watching it unfold, it's symbolism and characters developing and being explained right there in front of you as true people, which I think was the goal of the film. 

This, to me, is the way art should be appreciated, piece by piece, each individual element clear and shown for it's intertwined importance, to fully present the whole artwork as the masterpiece that it is.

I hope you get a chance to see this brilliant piece of cinematic art from Poland.

Na razie...



I was not compensated in any way regarding this film or review.  Although, I think it would be great if Netflix sponsored me so that I could share with you more of the films they offer which appeal to a Polish audience.

1 comment:

olivia said...

Watching it tonight! Thanks for posting the review. Martin has been looking forward to it, I had no idea it was on Netflix!